[TOS] IRC for a class or not

Gina Likins glikins at redhat.com
Wed Jan 17 17:29:43 UTC 2018

Late to discussion, but:

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:54 AM, Joanna Klukowska <joannakl at cs.nyu.edu>
wrote:

> Thanks to everybody who responded on the list and off the list.
> I am going to introduce students to IRC and get them to practice.
> We'll see if they choose to use it on their own or if they default to the
> more familiar tools for the communication.

​One thing I've found... idiosyncratic... about IRC is the logging.  If
there's some way for you to ensure that the channel they're using is
auto-logged to (for example) an internal web page (there are probably bots
that do that?) it would help make their experience with IRC less odd, I
think.​

(To put it more bluntly: one of the things that I don't like about IRC is
that if your connection drops you lose the conversation and there's no way
to read backwards and see what you missed. Having a web archive would fix
that, I think.  Developers who I work with solve for this in a number of
ways, with the most common seeming to be using some sort of "keep alive"
daemon [maybe wrong word] to ensure that their connection is "always on")

> I was looking for some active channels to show that "real" developers
> actually use it and I found that gcc channel is very active (well, at least
> today): irc.oftc.net/#gcc

​If you are on mozilla's network, all of the Rust channels are friendly:
https://search.mibbit.com/channels/Mozilla

HTH,

Gina​

--
*Gina Likins *
University Outreach, Open Source and Standards
glikins at redhat.com
(919)890-8322 <(919)%20890-8322> or internally 48322