[TOS] IRC for a class or not

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 18:24:14 UTC 2018

I am working with kids in the Civil Air Patrol and I been telling if you
need help irc is great, so I been thing about teaching IRC for these kids.
Specially safety as these kids are 13 to 18, so something to think about as
well.

IRC is great tool.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Gina Likins <glikins at redhat.com> wrote:

> Late to discussion, but:
>
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:54 AM, Joanna Klukowska <joannakl at cs.nyu.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks to everybody who responded on the list and off the list.
>> I am going to introduce students to IRC and get them to practice.
>> We'll see if they choose to use it on their own or if they default to the
>> more familiar tools for the communication.
>>

> ​One thing I've found... idiosyncratic... about IRC is the logging.  If
> there's some way for you to ensure that the channel they're using is
> auto-logged to (for example) an internal web page (there are probably bots
> that do that?) it would help make their experience with IRC less odd, I
> think.​
>
> (To put it more bluntly: one of the things that I don't like about IRC is
> that if your connection drops you lose the conversation and there's no way
> to read backwards and see what you missed. Having a web archive would fix
> that, I think.  Developers who I work with solve for this in a number of
> ways, with the most common seeming to be using some sort of "keep alive"
> daemon [maybe wrong word] to ensure that their connection is "always on")
>

>> I was looking for some active channels to show that "real" developers
>> actually use it and I found that gcc channel is very active (well, at least
>> today): irc.oftc.net/#gcc
>

> ​If you are on mozilla's network, all of the Rust channels are friendly:
> https://search.mibbit.com/channels/Mozilla
>
> HTH,
>
> Gina​
>

>> Joanna

>> Joanna Klukowska, PhD
>> Clinical Assistant Professor
>> Department of Computer Science
>> Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, NYU
>> Warren Weaver Hall, Room 423
>> joannakl at cs.nyu.edu
>> http://cs.nyu.edu/~joannakl/
>> Office hours (Spring 2018):
>> Monday 9:30am-11:00am, Thursday 1:30pm-3:00pm
>>

>> On 01/10/2018 08:19 PM, Heidi Ellis wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Susan has done a great job summarizing IRC pros and cons. I thought I'd
>>> share how I use it.
>>>
>>> I have an IRC channel open continually for students and hold IRC office
>>> hours two hours per week. This allows me to hold office hours in the
>>> evening when more students are around. It also allows me to be more
>>> available to students while I'm not in my office.
>>>
>>> I use one of a couple of in-class exercises to get students used to IRC.
>>> In one, I show my IRC channel on the projector and ask all students to log
>>> in. I will then ask students a question on IRC in which they are vested
>>> (what should the late policy be for the course) and require that all
>>> conversation be on IRC. I have also done this at the end of class and
>>> dismiss the class via IRC. Those students who aren't paying attention will
>>> sit there looking at you while the others get up and leave. Causes them to
>>> pay attention to IRC.

> [...]

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne
openSUSE -- Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio
a try.