[TOS] What makes a "good" open source project for Academic involvement?

Dr. Jody Paul jody at acm.org
Mon Mar 5 22:32:34 UTC 2018

We've used a derivation of the *Project Evaluation* activity from the
foss2serve.org site.

A quick aside about a recent experience highlighting something to avoid (if
possible): an open source community with schisms, such as key developers
having strained relationships.

Several weeks ago, a team of students attempted to become involved in an
open source project that satisfied our criteria and had been previously
identified by others in the community as a good candidate for student
participation.  However, students received peculiar responses to contacts
made with a key developer.  Unbeknownst to us, the project was in the
aftermath of disagreements among key developers that resulted in a
non-harmonious split within the project.  Fortunately, outreach to another
developer shed sufficient light on the current situation for us to decide
that switching to a different open source project was the best course of
action.  We discussed this experience during a retrospective, resulting in
few viable solutions to identifying such situations earlier in the
evaluation process.

Wishing you the best,

Dr. Jody Paul
Metropolitan State University of Denver