[TOS] tos Digest, Vol 98, Issue 1

Clif Kussmaul clifkussmaul at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 11:09:40 UTC 2018

Outside of academic settings, I think it's rare for someone to pick a
project and dive into its community.
Most people get involved with a community because they use and care about
the software,
and gradually get more involved in the community, following an onion or
pyramid model.
First they use the software, then they ask & answer forum questions, then
submit bug reports & feature requests,
then patches / pull requests, etc.

It might be hard to follow this model in a course, but I think students
would be more motivated and engaged
in a project that they used and felt connected to.

Clif Kussmaul  clif at kussmaul.org  http://kussmaul.org  +1-484-893-0255