[TOS] Help the Open Source Initiative extend OSS in schools

Patrick Masson masson at opensource.org
Mon Nov 26 15:20:45 UTC 2018

Hello fellow educators and open "sorcerers",

With my OSI hat in hand, I am asking for your help in supporting our
"FLOSS Desktops for Kids" program.

Briefly...

FLOSS Desktops for Kids provides resources and mentors to help schools,
teachers and kids learn about open source software, computer hardware,
and networking through hands-on activities. Using surplus and discarded
school computers, kids break-down and repair computer hardware
components, install open source software--including GNU/Linux operating
systems, Libre Office, GIMP, etc. The project teaches kids about
computers and computing by doing. Once completed, the kids can take
their computers home, "for keeps."

During our annual fund drive, beginning on Giving Tuesday (Nov. 27th)
and running through December 31, all money raised will go to support
the FLOSS Desktops for Kids project. The project is now in it's fifth
year and continues to grow within school districts, public libraries,
youth groups, and after school camps. This growing community needs
greater resources to continue, and we hope you and the open source
community can help.

We have a bit more information about the fund drive here:
https://opensource.org/2018funddrive

You can also learn more about the project via two OpenSource.com
articles:
 * Kids can't code without computers (
https://opensource.com/article/17/9/floss-desktops-kids)
 * Open Source Computer Club: Out of the trash, into the classroom (
https://opensource.com/education/16/9/open-source-computer-club)

And finally, here is a link to FLOSS Desktops for Kids Project
Homepage:
https://wiki.opensource.org/bin/Working+Groups+%26+Incubator+Projects/FLOSS+Desktop+Refurbishment+and+Distribution/

Thank you for your commitment to open source, education, and your
consideration here. I do hope you can support our foundational work.

Happy Holidays,
Patrick

--
  ||  |   | || |  ||  ||  | || |  |||  |  |||

Patrick Masson
General Manager & Director, Open Source Initiative
855 El Camino Real, Ste 13A, #270
Palo Alto, CA 94301
United States
Office: (415) 857-5398