[TOS] any interest in activities to introduce FOSS projects?

Clif Kussmaul clifkussmaul at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 12:07:45 UTC 2019

Hi William,

Thank you for the pointer to FLOSS Manuals – seems like a great resource. The manuals I’ve looked at seem very good, but do little to draw new users into the project community. In the FLOSS Manual for Audacity, the only reference I see to the project community is a one page appendix “Additional Help” which lists resources: user guide, wiki, forum, mailing list, videos, IRC. In the FLOSS Manual for Inkscape, I see no references to the project community or resources. Does anyone know of FLOSS Manuals that emphasize the project community?

I’m imagining topics like those in italics below – maybe sections or sidebars in a manual/tutorial, or maybe a separate tutorial. The idea is to help people learn about the project and the community together, so that participating & contributing seem as natural as using the software.

- The Project

- The Project Community

- Installing the Software

- Basic Features

- Finding Information (manuals, FAQs)

- More Basic Features

- Asking & Answering Questions (forums, lists, IRC)

- Intermediate Features

- Reporting Problems

- More Intermediate Features

- Suggesting Features and Changes