[TOS] any interest in activities to introduce FOSS projects?

Clif Kussmaul clifkussmaul at gmail.com
Sun May 12 17:56:21 UTC 2019

Hi Howard,

Designing an intro course around FOSS sounds interesting, and encouraging students to use & get involved with a FOSS project sounds promising. As you know, foss2serve.org and teachingopensource.org list learning activities, some of which might be useful in this context.

Consider introducing a variety of FOSS projects, and see which students connect with. Some CS students are really into games, but others aren’t, and might even be turned off by a focus on games. Humanitarian FOSS might appeal to students who want to make the world a better place. You could also use projects that students are likely to use for other reasons – FreeMind for note-taking, MuseScore for music notation, InkScape for drawing, etc.

William Kinghorn recommended FLOSSmanuals, which I’ve explored a little bit. It looks interesting, and could be a good way to help students write & revise user documentation for a FOSS project.

Clif
---
Clif Kussmaul   <mailto:clif at kussmaul.org> clif at kussmaul.org   <http://kussmaul.org/> http://kussmaul.org  +1-484-893-0255  EDT=GMT-5  (he/him)