[TOS] Research about mentorship in OSS

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 19:53:42 UTC 2019

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 1:23 PM Igor Steinmacher <igorsteinmacher at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I have a student working on a study aiming to understand how mentors
> recommend tasks for newcomers to OSS projects.
> We conducted a set of interviews and uncovered some challenges and
> strategies that can be used. To follow up, we are collecting some
> impressions via a survey.
>
> Given that we have a great set of instructors involved with OSS in this
> list, I believe that some of you would answer our survey.
> Therefore, we kindly ask you, if you have ever mentored someone in OSS
> context, please answer our survey to help us:
> https://forms.gle/KKo397WPNJ7Hw1PT8

Isn't this something that most OSS organizations that have participated in
Google Summer of Code or
Google Code-In will have experience with? Are you trying to focus on how
academics introduce students
to OSS projects or how the projects themselves on-board newcomers?

Different perspectives.

--joel sherrill
RTEMS