[TOS] FLOSS collection

LM lmemsm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 19:20:03 UTC 2020

I liked giving out a CD or DVD with a collection of FLOSS programs
during Software Freedom Day and at some of the local Tech Conferences
for educators.  I've been wanting to put together my own collection of
my favorite lightweight portable FLOSS programs for a while now.
Haven't been able to get far enough along in the project to come up
with anything I can really distribute yet.  I have lists of several
programs and libraries I'd like to include plus build scripts to
automate building them from source plus patches to fix various issues
(like portability, bugs, etc.).  I tend to highly customize the
programs I work with and don't have any issues with patching a FLOSS
program to add useful functionality I might need.  Since the programs
are fairly portable, I haven't decided on a platform.   Windows and
Linux are both options.  Android might be a possibility.  I could even
potentially design it to work with FreeDOS and djgpp.  I haven't found
a good way to distribute programs on Linux, but many projects of this
nature seem to just do a remaster of a favorite live distribution.
With Windows, something like what the portableapps.com project creates
is a good way of sharing programs.  Plus, teachers and students can
use the programs even if they don't have admin rights on the system.

Was wondering if anyone else was working on similar projects or had
considered doing a project of this nature or would be interested in
discussing various design aspects of a project like this further.  It
would be nice to be able to collaborate with some other people.
Thanks.