[TOS] Interesting Resources

Heidi Ellis heidi.ellis at wne.edu
Wed Apr 7 23:09:35 UTC 2021

Hi Folks,

In my surfing for things related to supporting student participation in open source, I ran across several new articles/resource that folks may find of interest. And some of these are authored by POSSE alums!

Enjoy!
Heidi

  *   Marco Gerosa (POSSE alum), Georg Link, Gregorio Robles, Anita Sarma, Igor Steinmacher, Christoph Treude, Bianca Trinkenreich, Igor Wiese have updated the study on What motivates open source software contributors<https://opensource.com/article/21/4/motivates-open-source-contributors>? One snippet of interest is that enjoying helping others (89%) and kinship (80%) rose in the rankings compared to surveys from the early 2000s.

  *   Gustavo Pinto (POSSE alum) has written a book on Open Source Licensing 101<https://gumroad.com/l/oss-licensing-101> which provides a great introduction to open source licensing for students.

  *   Red Hat has produced a checklist<https://www.redhat.com/en/resources/open-source-project-health-checklist> for assessing the health of an open source project. This could serve both as a way for instructors to assess projects and as a possible student assignment to evaluate an open source community.

  *   Citizen Statistician has written an experience report on Open-source contribution as a student project.<http://www.citizen-statistician.org/2021/03/open-source-contribution-as-a-student-project/> A brief step-by-step explanation of student involvement in updating an R package.