[TOS] [New book] Human at a Distance

Bryan G. Behrenshausen bbehrens at redhat.com
Thu Jan 7 14:02:04 UTC 2021

I recently enjoyed reading Heidi's blog post entitled "Open Source
Community and Socially Distanced Education,"[1] which offered the
following compelling line of thought:

> [...] I've been considering how teaching a project course in a
socially distanced environment is much like creating community in an
open source project. Both require forms of asynchronous interactions.
Both require good communication skills. Both require good time
management and attention to detail. Both require some appropriate
technical background and the ability to ask accurate questions. And
both depend on the community for success. I was aware of these
similarities, but somehow having to teach in an environment where I’m
depending more often on electronic forms of communication has made this
more clear to me. I will continue to reflect on these similarities and
how I can leverage open source principles to improve student learning.

Given this interest, I thought that perhaps folks in this community may
be interested in the latest book project from the Open Organization
community, *Human at a Distance: An Open Organization Guide to
Distributed Teamwork*.[2] The book examines how remote, distributed
teams can leverage open principles and practices—many derived from open
source communities, which have been operating successful remote
communities for decades—to create more dynamic, inclusive, and
accountable organizations. You can find the book on GitHub, along with
other volumes in the series:

https://github.com/open-organization/open-org-distributed-work-guide/releases/tag/1.0

BB

---