[TOS] What are folks teaching related to open source in the fall?

Wes Turner wdturner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 14:54:09 UTC 2021

I am teaching RCOS (Rensselaer Center for Open Source) this semester. The
course is essentially a chimera with part undergraduate research, part
seminar, and part student club. Students sign up for the course and then in
the first two weeks we go through an intensive project selection process of
pitching, discussing, and finally selecting projects. All projects must be
open source, but we encourage humanitarian choices as well. And we welcome
external ("in the wild") projects along with student or instructor defined
projects. Then the rest of the semester, we work with the students to help
them become contributing members of the projects, to master the tools they
need to be successful, and to self-learn the various technologies of the
projects. It takes 2 instructors and 20 student mentors, but is a very
popular offering here at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

We are just getting started this semester so I don't know exactly what
projects will be selected, but RCOS has existed since 2006 and we typically
have about 150 students and 35 or so active projects. In the past, they
have included projects to help conservation efforts in Africa (Elephant
ID), track the RPI busses on their routes (ShuttleTracker, RPI is a cold
place in the winter), allow students to plan their semester classes (YACS
and QUACS, Darwinism is active on campus), pair up tutors with students
(TutorBase and Instatutor), have contributed to the Open Energy Dashboard,
and have worked on Open Source IBM projects along with hundreds of others.

We also, assuming the campus opens back up to external visitors, like to
bring in a few external speakers every semester to discuss their open
source projects and interests.

All the Best,

Wes Turner

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 8:55 AM Bryan G. Behrenshausen <bbehrens at redhat.com>
wrote:

> So great to read what everyone is doing in the fall!
>
> At Brandeis University, I'll be teaching graduate/professional courses in
> open
> source strategy—in particular, Open Source Business Practices and
> Establish an
> Open Source Program Office—as part of the Open Source Technology Management
> program. Registration is actually open and ongoing right now! Please feel
> free
> to pass along the course descriptions [1] and registration form [2] to
> anyone
> who may be interested.
>
> With best wishes for a great fall term,
> Bryan
>
> ---
>
> [1]
>
> https://www.brandeis.edu/gps/professional-development/micro-courses/ostm/courses.html
>
> [2] https://rabb-school.brandeis.edu/register/OSTMregformSept21
>
> On Sun, 2021-08-29 at 22:00 +0000, Heidi Ellis wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > As many academic institutions have or soon will start their fall terms,
> > I thought it would be fun to share any classes in which students are
> > participating in open source. In the interest of sharing materials and
> > seeing what people are doing, I'll begin.
> >
> > I'm teaching a senior-level Software Engineering course. We're working
> > on software for the Western New England University food pantry (Bear
> > Necessities Market) which is part of the LibreFoodPantry community [0].
> > I'm hosting the class on GitLab [1]. I will be teaching a follow-on
> > capstone course which will contribute to Bear Necessities Market as well
> > [2].
> >
> > Who else is teaching using open source?
> >
> > Heidi
> >
> > [0] https://librefoodpantry.org/
> >
> > [1] https://gitlab.com/heidijcellis/cs-490-fall-2021
> >
> > [2] https://gitlab.com/heidijcellis/cs-492

* Wesley D. Turner, Ph.D. * Director of the Rensselaer Center for Open
Source and Senior Lecturer | Department of Computer Science | Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute | 110 8th Street | Troy, New York 12180-3590 |
turnew2 at rpi.edu | (518)276-8184